How to convert from manual tester to automation tester
If you’re a manual tester and want to switch to automation testing, here are some steps you can take:
- Learn a programming language: Automation testing requires knowledge of programming languages such as Java, Python, Ruby, etc. You can start learning by taking online courses, reading books, or watching tutorials.
- Choose an automation tool: There are many automation testing tools available in the market, such as Selenium, Appium, Robot Framework, etc. Choose the one that is widely used in the industry and learn how to use it.
- Understand automation frameworks: You need to understand different automation frameworks such as Data-driven, Keyword-driven, Hybrid, and Behavior-driven frameworks. These frameworks help you to write test scripts more efficiently and maintain them over time.
- Start small: You can start by automating simple and repetitive test cases to get a better understanding of automation testing. Gradually, you can move towards complex test cases.
- Collaborate with the development team: It’s important to collaborate with the development team to understand the application architecture and design test cases accordingly. You can also get help from developers to fix automation issues.
- Practice, practice, practice: To become proficient in automation testing, you need to practice regularly. You can start by writing code snippets or scripts and gradually move towards writing full test cases.
- Keep learning: Automation testing is a constantly evolving field. You need to keep learning new tools, technologies, and frameworks to stay up-to-date with the latest trends.
In summary, to convert from manual tester to automation tester, you need to learn a programming language, choose an automation tool, understand automation frameworks, start small, collaborate with the development team, practice regularly, and keep learning.